top of page

Fun in the Sun for 1st against Whaley

1st XI vs Whaley Bridge (Home, Saturday 5th June) by James Wright The 1st team welcomed Whaley Bridge to Manor Park Road on Saturday, basking in the warm sunshine and glad to put the bitter chill of May behind them. It was a relief to be taking on water rather than mopping it up, with sponges and forks replaced by shades and sun-screen.

Unfortunately for home skipper Adderley, the change in weather did not bring about a change in fortune at the coin toss, with another poor result allowing the visitors to take the opportunity to bat first on the flat deck. Indeed, the wicket appeared to be in excellent condition, thanks again to top work from Head Groundsman Andy King.

The match began in strange fashion as Whaley opener Schofield retired hurt after three deliveries, citing a side strain picked up bowling in the nets earlier that morning. Heathcote joined the impressive Holden at the crease, and they were watchful against good opening spells from Adderley and Walsh. The match was becoming a classic battle between bat and ball.

The unconventional Heathcote was going well, but lost his composure when Allsopp replaced Adderley, unable to stop himself from dancing down the track at the OG spinner and bowled for 14 off his second delivery. Further delight quickly followed for the home side, with Holden looking composed as he made his way to a tidy 27 before disaster struck for him when he was run out by Adderley. This was a welcome breakthrough for OG with the score now on 55 for 2.

Higginbotham and Lee Jones were now left to rebuild after the two quick dismissals, but found the going tough against Allsopp and Walsh, with tight bowling slowing the scoring rate.

Allen was introduced and soon saw off Higginbotham for 15, but Jones was starting to attack, and his aggression was rewarded with some hefty blows as he passed his half century. However, he took on Allsopp one time too many and was caught in the deep for 51. Jones had done well for his team, and the score was on a competitive 128 for 4 when he departed.

OG continued to work hard with the ball, and the vistitors continued to find it hard work in the blazing sun. Adderley came back into the attack and was too hot for the Whaley lower order to handle, their innings grinding to a halt on 149 all out in the final over.

Adderley (4 for 35) and Allsopp (3 for 25) were the pick of the home bowlers in a good OG bowling performance, which left the home batters in buoyant mood at the interval.

Sagar and Froggett strode out to open the innings, with the Yorkshireman promoted in the absence of Joy. Both openers began in confident fashion, and Sagar had reached 11 before a mix up led to him being run out. Sagar wished his new opening partner well as he departed the scene, with Cannon taking his place. The veteran added a single before he too was given his marching orders, trapped lbw by Dale Jones.

Froggett had made his way to 15 when, possibly feeling sorry for Sagar, he promptly ran himself out, his late lunge falling short. He limped off the field rubbing his hip, and some teammates feared a nasty injury. Fortunately for the new boy the bar was well stocked, and a few cold shandies had him back to his normal self in no time.

Old Glossop were wobbling slightly on 28 for 3, and Whitehouse and McGrail came together in the middle knowing that they needed to knuckle down with the visitors smelling blood. Luckily, both men were up to the task, pouncing on loose deliveries and fending off better ones. McGrail motored to 32 before he was bowled, leaving Whitehouse to continue with the incoming Adderley.

Whitehouse was looking good before he was stumped for 31, with OG on 105 and appearing to be coasting towards victory.

Allen joined Adderley at the crease, but he was soon heading back to the pavilion and the home side were making hard work of this. Littlewood entered the fray with the score on 115 for 7, and he was soon off the mark with a nice boundary as Adderley too found his shots, moving the score beyond 140 before he was bowled by the impressive Higginbotham for 32.

This left Allsopp with the task of guiding his side to victory, and he did so with aplomb, two quick boundaries releasing the pressure and seeing OG home. Littlewood was left unbeaten on 12, and Allsopp 9 not out.

Old Glossop had achieved their target with five overs to spare, and in the end this had been a comfortable win, despite the regular loss of wickets.

71 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page