top of page

Whitehouse leads 1sts home in Bissenden thriller

OLD GLOSSOP VS WOODLEY (Home, Bissenden Cup QF, Saturday 12th June) by James Wright

The 1st team played host to Woodley on Saturday in a much anticipated Bissenden Cup quarter final clash.

The visitors are defending League champions and had gone some time without tasting defeat, so the OG boys welcomed the opportunity to measure this season's progress against quality opposition, but also knew that they would be up against it here...

Head Groundsman Andy King had already peppered social media with news of the "#road" which he had cultivated, and the OG bowlers awaited further bad news when skipper Adderley joined opposite number Kay for the coin toss. In truth, the new captain has not looked like winning one all year - this is an area of his game which he must work on.

The inevitable outcome duly ensued, and Old Glossop were fielding.

Adderley and Walsh started well against Danny Kay and the aggressive Oldland, both finding good lengths, with Adderley in particular generating good carry from Kingy's highway. He soon struck, trapping Oldland lbw for 13.

Walsh soon got in on the act, a straight delivery removing Kay, also lbw, for 1. Old Glossop had made early inroads, and the lads were beginning to smell blood.

Woodley continued to make slow progress, but Cranwell looked in determined mood, and made sure not to miss out when bowlers did misfire. Littlewood replaced Adderley and soon delivered, bowling Frazier Heginbotham for 8. Walsh finished an excellent spell with another lbw, trapping Murphy for 6.

With Woodley reeling on 54 for 4, Wright joined fellow left armer Littlewood in the attack, and soon removed Brad Heginbotham, caught behind smartly by McGrail for 8.

Cranwell was looking dangerous, taking a liking to Wright in particular. However, when Allen replaced Littlewood the OG bowlers were able to target the other end, with Wright having Jamie Kay caught by Joy at mid off for 15. Further joy followed for the home team when Allen had Bamford caught behind by McGrail for 2.

With Woodley now at 119 for 7, and with Adderley and Littlewood having overs in the bank, OG sensed more quick wickets. But Cranwell had other ideas, plundering a tired over from Wright before he drilled a drive to Froggett at cover who dived to take an excellent catch. Cranwell was out for 82, with Wright counting his blessings.

Allen then claimed another scalp, bowling Ince for 15, before the returning Littlewood wrapped things up, having Trowsdale caught in the deep by Acomb.

Woodley were all out for 163, with 9 overs of their innings remaining.

The wickets were shared, with all bowlers getting in on the action (Wright 3, Walsh 2, Littlewood 2, Allen 2 and Adderley 1).

This had been a fantastic group effort from an OG bowling unit missing hot hand Lenny Allsopp, ably assisted by some great work in the field.

After the brief interval, the OG batters were sent out to try to finish the job.

Joy and Acomb were watchful to begin with, but the promising Joy soon found his shots, punishing anything remotely short.

The OG joy was short-lived though, as Acomb departed for a duck. This lad is clearly a weapon, but today was unfortunately a day for the rough rather than the smooth after last week's fireworks...

Froggett entered the fray, and Joy continued to play his shots before he too fell for 22 and was replaced by Sagar.

Both lads batted diligently against tight bowling, but boundaries were in short supply. Sagar was first to depart, trapped lbw for 4, before Froggett also fell, bowled for 7.

Old Glossop were wobbling a little now on 46 for 4, and McGrail and Whitehouse now found themselves in all too familiar rebuild mode. Fortunately, both men were up to the task. McGrail took his time but suddenly produced his trademark flowing drives. Whitehouse then followed, and the OG innings was given new impetus.

A large crowd was beginning to gather, with the fine weather and well stocked bar arguably a bigger pull than the cricket... Never mind - after 8 Kopparberg's and a healthy dose of vitamin D, this lot were anyone's, and they were clearly cheering for the home team...

However, disaster struck with the score on 90, when McGrail was caught at long on off the bowling of Cranwell for 24. Whitehouse, meanwhile was batting well, and made his way beyond 30 in partnership with Adderley. The skipper could only add 6 though, before he too fell, caught and bowled by Cranwell.

The task was looking increasingly tough for the home team, with the score on 99 for 6 and now reliant on the tail to see this one through with Whitehouse.

Littlewood joined the man in form, and kept the scoreboard ticking with some aggressive running between the wickets. But he was then out, bowled for 7.

Allen strode out to the middle and immediately found his form, hitting boundaries in successive deliveries to relieve the pressure. At the other end, Whitehouse picked his shots superbly, dispatching loose deliveries to the boundary.

After a brilliant cameo from Allen (21 from 18 balls), Whitehouse was left to hit the winning runs, and he did so in style, with a boundary. Whitehouse finished on 55 not out, having guided his team home with a wonderful knock.

Jubilant scenes followed on the OG balcony, with Walsh and Wright looking especially delighted. The supporters went wild too, with recent convert Martin Yates barely able to conceal his delight, grabbing a startled Wright and exclaiming "you lads are gonna make a cricket fan of me if you carry on like this!".

This had been some performance, with a fine Woodley side put to the sword thanks to major contributions from the bowling unit, with solid support in the field, and great efforts with the bat from McGrail, Joy and iceman Allen.

However, all credit must go to Whitehouse, as victory would surely not have been possible without his diligent half-century.

Adderley’s Army goes marching on, to a semi final date at home to division two rivals Hazel Grove on Sunday 11th July.

106 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page